With teaching a new grade level, I needed to move my classroom down the hallway. After one year of teaching I knew it wouldn't be TOO bad moving. I haven't had the time to accumulate this and that as some of my colleagues have. The room that I needed to move into however was once a 40 year old veteran's work place! I didn't know what to expect when I walked into my "new" room. How much would she take with her? Leave behind? Needless to say...a lot was left behind. Enough said.
I sadly must have erased my true "before" picture on my Iphone. :( Majorly bummed. However, you can imagine the clutter.
Here is a picture of one of the first piles of books I decided to donate to our book swap room:
Hundreds and hundreds of books. Some of you may think I'm crazy. However, I like having new fresh books in my classroom. Kids are engaged and excited to read when a book is in good condition. I did keep many books to add to my own collection though which I am very grateful for. These books will be put in our book swap room where students can go and bring a book and take a book. It's a great program.
Here are a few more pictures after we (my mother and sister) did MUCH cleaning:
Since these photos were taken we have done even MORE organizing and cleaning. My mother and I painted and sponged two book shelves that were in my room. To put it nicely they originally looked AWFUL. They were very old and needed some TLC. Here they are now:
Here they are!
How cute is Old Yeller? :)
So, there you have it. I will be taking more pictures soon of the progress. I cannot wait to decorate some more and continue to brighten up this room!
TTFN
-Larissa













Hey Larissa I love your classroom, I was wondering where you got all your baskets for your classroom librabry.
ReplyDeleteHi Meaghan! Thank you! I get all my classroom book baskets from www.reallygoodstuff.com!
ReplyDeleteWe have similar stories :) I taught 2nd grade for the last year and a half but it was on the condition of being a long-term sub for most of it. I had to deal with someone else's stuff and oh was there a lot of STUFF! To top it off, I had to move it all at the beginning of the last school year because she didn't know whether or not she was coming back in the middle of the year. Needless to say, I set up a classroom with someone else's stuff and she didn't come back! I'm so excited to have a blank slate to work with this year! I made the move up to 5th and I am little nervous about the changes but with great bloggers to follow, I'm sure I'll be fine :)
ReplyDeleteYour newest follower,
Katie at The Inspired Classroom