Well hello fellow bloggers, it has been a while. A long, long while. Actually, since October! I've missed blogging oh so much. To be honest, it has been the last thing on my to do list lately. Some of you that follow me may have noticed in previous posts that this year I've moved from fourth to fifth grade. That was an adjustment in itself, however, I was eased by the transition because I already knew the students. The biggest transition for me this school year though has been the new departmentalized model we've been trying.
At the beginning of the year my principal suggested trying the departmentalized model because of a workshop he had attended. My other team members are loving it, however, I am loathing it. I am teaching purely "reading" everyday...all day...
Needless to say, I am becoming bored. Which makes me sad. I realize now that I loved teaching all of the subjects throughout the day. Many say that teaching one subject is much "easier" but I would have to disagree.
Yes, one only plans for one subject. However, there is no connection between subjects. It is like thinking with a one track mind. I enjoyed finding common connections and threads amongst subjects. It was so delightful to thread through reading, writing, and content. It felt more natural.
I also miss the classroom management and classroom culture I had last year. I feel as though I don't know my student's as well as I did last year. This also makes me sad.
Question of the day:
Has anyone else taught using the departmentalized model? What were your feelings about it? Experiences? Pros and Cons?
I have a snow day today! You might see me later on here...it seems to be a perfect day to get caught up on some blogging!
No comments:
Post a Comment