Saturday, August 18, 2012

I'm Back!

Well everyone, I've been MIA from the blogging world for over a week. This is due to me recovering from bronchitis and having a few splintered ribs (thank you uncontrollable coughing). I've been taking it easy. However, I am starting to feel like I'm turning a corner with all of this. It's about time! There is much to be done, I start work the 23rd...and the students come on the 27th!

Something BIG has changed since last time I've posted:
*My team and I decided to try "departmentalization" this year. I will be teaching Reading and Writing to all 5th grade students at my school. I couldn't be more thrilled. The literacy block during the day is my absolute favorite. I often wished it could last all day...well, now it will :).

A few things I need to do to prepare for this:
*Create 40+ more writers notebooks (I've already done them for my class)
*Create 3 big binders for each class, for running records and notes, each student has their own section.
*I need to work on color cordinating all materials for the three groups.  Our colors are: Green, Blue, and Purple!
*I need to plan for the first week, meet with my team, and decide when we want to introduce the process of rotating. This is something that will be new to many, and it was decided during the summer. None of the students know.
*I need to find an amazing book to start the year off. 

That's about it, the room is pretty much decorated and ready. :)

Any followers/readers out there that departmentalize in the elementary grade levels? Any advice? Ideas? 


 

2 comments:

  1. I have departmentalized before. My recommendation is to try the rotation the first day. Students can stay in the other classes long enough to meet the teacher and maybe a preview of the year. Maybe 30 minutes the first couple of days. After the first two days switch like you will be doing the rest of the year. The sooner the schedule/rotation is taught and practiced the better. I also recommend that all classrooms have the same classroom rules and consequences so there is consistency for the kids. Good luck this school year and I'm glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete