Saturday, September 14, 2013

Fun Math!

Hello Everyone!
   Well we just completed our first FULL week of school. As you know the first few weeks of school are the busiest. Getting to know your students, creating classroom expectations, procedures, open house, and much more. Phew. You know what though? I love having my own class again! Feels so fantastic to get to spend the day with the same students, so I can truly get to know WHO they are.
   I wanted to share a super fun math game that we played yesterday. I found this idea on Pinterest, super easy, cheap, and the kids LOVED it. We have been working on multiplication and division in our math program.

Spiral Multiplication Math!
What you need for ONE game. You will need to split your students into groups. So..look at this list and see how much you will need according to how many groups you have:
*Deck of Cards (Ace-10) have students take out Jacks, Queens, Kings, Jokers.
*1 Die or 2 Dice
*Game Pieces for each player of the game (Can be whatever you like, I used math manipulative blocks)
*Scrap paper (if needed)

Students take out Jacks, Queens, Kings, and Jokers in the deck of cards. Have students arrange cards in a spiral "game board" shape. Students then roll the die, whoever gets the highest roll goes first and then go clockwise. Students all place their markers at the beginning of the spiral (outside).

The first student rolls the die and moves their game piece that many places. Let's say if the student rolls a 3 and lands on a 10 card, they need to be able to answer 3x10. If the student gets the correct answer they get to stay on their space. If it's incorrect they move back to where they were.

If your students are working on two digit times one digit multiplication, or two digit times two digit, use two dice. You can really taylor this game to what your students need.

My students absolutely loved it!! I hope you give it a try and see how much fun they can have working together and learning math facts. :)



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I teach third grade and we have been reviewing addition and subtraction facts. I could definitely use this game to practice addition. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. I love the orange (my favorite color) carpet. Where did you get it from?

      Delete
  2. Thanks this is really fun math is my favorite subject I love to teach mathmatics
    Education can change the world

    ReplyDelete