Oh yes, we had another snow day today. Where do I live? You guessed it, in the 8-14 inch range! We have gotten a ton of white stuff this winter. I think we could have gone to school today, it seems that the snow started later in the day. However, I'm not complaining. I realize that making that decision must be tough. I'm hoping to get to school tomorrow but who knows if I will. I can say that I am excited for SPRING! :)
I wanted to give a little bit of an update on a book I finished reading over vacation. I'm sure it's one many of you have read before, however, I wanted to share my thoughts on it. Over vacation I read Inevitable: Mass Customized Learning by Charles Schwahn and Bea McGarvey.
I've learned about MCL through discussions with other fellow teachers but I wanted to read this book to get the information direct from the source. I read it within two days and could no put it down! I would love to try to begin piloting some MCL in the classroom beginning next year. Has anyone done any MCL in the classroom? Is your school already doing it? I'd love to talk to other teachers that have had experience with this. A disadvantage that I'm facing with MCL is at our school we have little to no technology. It really can be a challenge to keep "up to date" and "cutting edge" when you do not have the resources you need.Like I said earlier, please leave a comment if you've had any experience with MCL. I'd love to hear what you're doing in your classroom!


Are you in Maine? I visited Oakland schools to see what they are doing. Spent all day there and saw some great things in both the K-2 and 3-5 schools. I have been doing 'some' MCL stuff since I saw Shelly Moody speak and I like what I've implemented so far. Our school goal is for everyone to try a pretest for the next math unit they teach and do some differentiation based on the results.
ReplyDeleteHi Kim! Yes I am, I work in the Oxford Hills area. I know some other districts that have visited the Oakland school in order to obtain info for their pilots! It sounds like that would be something to look into. Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog! I'd love to read about your results of what you do with your math unit! Take care!
ReplyDeleteUgh! Look at all that snow. I'm in Massachusetts, and we've had a lot of snow this year too. Strangely enough, it was all in February! My husband's parents live in the 8 - 14 zone of your map, too. They are pretty sick of all the snow! Hope you enjoyed your snow day, regardless. :)
ReplyDeleteMandy
Caffeine and Lesson Plans
Thank you Mandy! I did enjoy it, however, I'm at the point where I do NOT want another snow day until next year! :) Thank you for visiting my blog!
Delete