If you've read from earlier posts, this year in fifth grade we have departmentalized and I am teaching reading and writing. I've decided to do three book groups. The three books I've chosen are: Extra Credit, The Report Card, and Frindle. All by Andrew Clements.
All three books are around a level DRA 40 so I thought it would be perfect for a beginning of the year fifth grade read! The students are about halfway through the books. I've been using the students readers journals to keep track of key events that have happened in the story as well as characters traits and character interactions!(All standards on the Common Core!)
Another great new book by Andrew Clements is About Average.
I absolutely love this book! I've been doing it as an end of the day read aloud to my students. It's about a sixth grade student named Jordan that feels just..average. So many students can relate to the character. It's a must have for your library!
I've also been prepping my students for the NECAPs...oh joy. I've been working on answering two part questions with using evidence from the text to support one's answer. We have done a ton of practice but after doing an assessment I find that we STILL have to practice. We begin our testing next week! What about everyone else?
Okay blogger friends, I am happy to see I have 5 more followers! Thank you so much for following my blog. I promise I will be updating and creating more things for Teachers Pay Teachers soon! Happy Teaching My Friends!


No comments:
Post a Comment